Review: The DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300
(Be sure to read all the way through to the end of the article where I provide you with a link to an online retailer who offers the lowest price, the absolute best customer service, a straight-forward return policy, and provides free shipping! It all comes down to “No Worries”)
After you’ve tasted the rich, complex, crema-topped espresso that the DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300 Super Automatic Espresso Machine makes, you realize that you’ll never be able to enjoy drip coffee anymore. You may have a sudden, and justifiable, urge to throw out the Mr. Coffee that you got at Target, but don’t worry, because it has never been easier to make a perfect espresso (or cappuccino or latte) at home. Not since the innovation of these super easy, super awesome, super automatic espresso machines. If you can push a button, then you can make a perfect espresso!
Design of the DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300
Add Class and Style to Your Kitchen
The DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300 is a handsome and sleek looking coffee machine, and will add class to any kitchen. Designed and manufactured in Italy, the same country that gives us Maserati sports cars and Prada shoes. And wasn’t it the Italians who invented espresso?
As an espresso aficionado you know that the best tasting coffee drinks are the result of using only freshly ground coffee beans. This is the reason why the DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300 Super Automatic Espresso Machine automatically grinds the coffee beans only just prior to brewing, resulting in the very freshest, most aromatic coffee, and best tasting espresso. This unique and patented system is called the Beans-to-Brew System.
Whether you’re making yourself an espresso to get your day started, or making cappuccinos for friends after dinner, the Magnifica is up to the task. The DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300 makes it simple and quick to prepare mouth-watering espressos, cappuccinos, lattes, macchiattos, lattes, and Café Americanos.
The DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300 is Loaded With Features
- The DeLonghi Magnifica makes brewing an espresso as easy as pushing a button. All of the controls are easily accessible and are found on the front panel of the machine. There a four buttons. These include an on-off button, a single cup button, a double cup button, and a hot water button. You will also find two adjustment dials on the front panel. One of the dials adjusts the amount of water used per brew cycle, and the other dial adjusts the amount of ground coffee used per brew cycle. The variations of settings allows you to control and tweak the coffee strength and flavor to your own personal taste. You can also specify the size of drink, from an espresso shot with 1 oz or less of water, to a café créma up to 6 oz. (for example).
- The DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300 features a double boiler system using stainless steel-lined boilers, the type found on professional machines. The stainless steel double boilers are extremely durable, they heat water faster, and they are very easy to clean. But the greatest advantage of a double boiler system is that it allows you to begin steaming milk (for a cappuccino, for example) immediately after the brew cycle has finished, without waiting for the boiler to reheat more water.
- In addition to being good looking, the DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300 is also a muscle machine. It can produce up to 15 bars of pressure. It brews espresso, however, at 8-9 bars, which is the ideal pressure for perfectly delicious espressos.
- The machine features an attached water reservoir which includes a water level indicator so you know when it’s time to add water. The easily removable 60 oz reservoir is very easy to refill. Just slide out the reservoir and take it to the sink. With 60 ounces of water you can make plenty of 1 ounce espresso shots before refilling.
- There is also a bean hopper built right into the DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300. It’s easy to load! You can put as much as 7 ounces of your favorite roasted coffee beans into the hopper and you’re all set to make some tasty espresso drinks.
- When you select a brew option the machine automatically grinds the beans, right before brewing begins. This results in the freshest, most delicious coffee drinks. DeLonghi has patented this Bean-to-Brew System.
- When grinding coffee beans for espresso you want to use a professional quality, conical burr grinder. This is absolutely the best type of grinder, and produces the most consistent grind. And guess what? There’s one built right into the DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300. You can select from 7 different adjustment settings. Different grinds will change the strength and flavor of the espresso, so you can choose the grind that suits your tastes best. Regardless of which grind you choose you will always have plenty of grinding power.
- Another secret to creating the richest most flavorful espresso drinks is to moisten the coffee grounds slightly just prior to brewing. This is called “pre-infusion and it helps release the ground coffee beans soluble oils resulting in the most flavor and aroma. And of course the DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300 features a pre-infusion cycle. A 2-step pre-infusion cycle.
- What happens if the bean hopper is full of your favorite beans and someone wants their latte de-caf? Do you turn the machine upside down and dump all the beans out? Thankfully, No. The DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300 has a feature called a “bypass doser”. This smart feature allows you to place pre-ground coffee directly into the brew group for brewing instead of grinding the beans in the hopper.
- The DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300 features a patented cappuccino system which uses a special chamber that combines the steam and the milk to create a rich, creamy foam for your cappuccinos, or froth for your lattes. The cappuccino system rotates 180 degrees which permits you to use any size milk container.
- You won’t have to wait around for the machine to reheat before you can brew your next shot. This is thanks to the “instant re-heat function” which heats the core of the machine. This keeps the machine at the perfect temperature for brewing even if several minutes pass between brew cycles.
- If you want the best tasting espresso you have to brew into a warm cup. Period. So you gotta have a cup warmer, and the Magnifica does.
- After brewing a shot of espresso the Magnifica automatically rinses the brew group. This is great because it’s important to keep your machine clean for optimal performance.
- The Magnifica has an internal dump box where used grinds are placed after brewing. It’s also removable, and guess what? That makes it easy to clean!
- I love this — the DeLonghi Magnifica is the only machine that allows you to fill the water reservoir and empty the dump box without moving the machine. Cool.
- Remember, regular cleaning and maintenance prolongs the life of your machine. The DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300 features the smallest removable brewing group system. Because it’s removable you can get to areas which are normally difficult to reach and so can be cleaned easily.
- Another “easy-to-clean” feature: a removable drip tray. Easy to remove, easy to rinse, easy to put back in place.
- When it’s time to descale, the machine will let you know! It is recommended that you descale the boilers every 2 months to remove all mineral deposits. Descaling is easy and the process is explained in the user’s manual.
- If you forget to turn off the machine after use, which I do frequently, the “Automatic Shut-Off” will prove to be a real energy saver.
DeLonghi’s White Glove Service
When you buy an espresso machine you want to buy from a company that will continue to stand behind their product. DeLonghi has a program called “White Glove Service”. These folks really know how to deliver.
The White Glove Service is reserved for Magnifica customers. The helpline is staffed by people who really know the ins and outs of this machine. And if you ever need to ship your machine back for repairs they pick up the shipping cost.
The DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300 Isn’t Just a Fancy Coffee Machine
As a true espresso aficionado who truly appreciates espresso for exactly what it is then you know that an espresso machine is a worthy self-indulgence that will make you happy for many, many years to come.
It is also a classy and awesome addition to your kitchen. It is handsome and stylish. It makes a statement. And the espresso drinks that you’ll become an expert at making will be enjoyed by all of your friends and family, and they will recognize your style and sophistication.
You will love being able to make your own espressos, lattes, and cappuccinos whenever you desire, and you’ll be saving a small fortune over what you used to pay at your local coffee house. If you appreciate all the nuances of a great cup of coffee then you deserve to splurge on yourself, because a good espresso is one of life’s simple pleasures.
Hope you enjoy a long life filled with good things, like espresso made with the DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300!