Review: The DeLonghi EC155 Espresso Machine
Update: Dec, 2016
The De’Longhi EC155 15 BAR Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker delivers a tasty thick crema espresso or a cappucchino at a very low price (about $100). This semi-automatic espresso machine is a perfect choice for a busy lifestyle where you want to enjoy the delicious espresso shot every morning in a fast way.
The secret to the delicious tasting, créma-topped espresso that this machine makes is that it uses a pump, and not steam, to force heated water under pressure through the ground coffee. This is the same method, and makes espresso at the same level of pressure, as that employed by espresso machines that cost 10 times as much.
Design of the Delonghi EC155
The DeLonghi EC155 is a semi-automatic espresso machine. This means that that the user must control certain aspects of the brewing process. But that allows the user to adjust and control the strength and flavor of their espresso. Customized in other words.
The DeLonghi EC155 espresso machine doesn’t have a long list of bells and whistles like a fully automatic espresso machine has. But that’s OK. It has all of the essential features necessary to make a tasty espresso, cappuccino, or latte. And you wouldn’t expect a lot of fancy features on a machine costing less than $100.
Pros and cons of the De’Longhi EC155 15 BAR Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
- Elegant design with silver metal color.
- The water reservoir is great with big volume (can make 8-10 shots before refilling)
- Fast heat-up time, excellent frothing wand
- The frothing wand is a bit short (3 1/4 inches only)
- The coffee puck is a bit watery after brewing, it does not dry as expensive espresso maker
Features of the Delonghi EC155
A Breakdown of Features and Benefits of the De’Longhi EC155 15 BAR Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
- The EC155 espresso machine has a 35 ounce water reservoir that can be easily removed and filled at the sink. Very convenient.
- If you’re in a hurry you can make a cup of espresso using ESE (Easy Serve Espresso) pods. When you don’t have time to grind your beans, dose, and tamp, you can simply pop in a pod and start brewing. This is made possible because the DeLonghi EC155 comes with a filter basket designed for use with ESE pods.
- The DeLonghi EC155 features their Sempre Créma Filter. This patented dual-function filter holder mixes air into the brewing process to produce a perfect, thick, golden créma . You know that you’re drinking real espresso when it is served topped with this creamy deliciousness.
- The designers at DeLonghi made sure this budget espresso machine had a powerful 15 bar, self-priming pump. The pump facilitates a consistent, well-extracted espresso shot every time. And the self-priming feature means you don’t have to deal with any complicated set-up routines when you first get the machine, or after the machine has not been used for a lengthy period of time.
- All of the DeLonghi EC155 espresso machine’s functions are controlled by a dial conveniently located on the front of the machine. These functions include steaming, power off, power on, coffee brewing, and hot water dispensing. Set the dial in the “on” position to start the heater. It only takes about 1 minute to heat the water. When the water is heated simply turn the dial to the “coffee brew” setting. To stop brewing all you have to do is return the dial to the off position. It doesn’t get much simpler than that.
- If you love to make cappuccinos, lattes, and other milk-based espresso drinks, the DeLonghi EC155 includes a steam wand with an attachment that makes steaming and frothing milk a breeze. To steam, turn the dial to the steam position and wait for the temperature-ready light to light up. When it lights up the EC155 is ready to steam. Just immerse the end of the steam wand into a small pitcher of cold milk, turn the steam knob located on the top of the machine, and start frothing.
- As with considerably more expensive machines, the DeLonghi EC155 has a stainless steel boiler, which provides heat stability, is more durable, and is less vulnerable to scale build-up. The boiler system also has two separate thermostats so that the precise temperature is always used for brewing or steaming.
- The DeLonghi EC155 has a removable drip tray for easy cleaning. Just remove and rinse with warm water and mild detergent to clean.
Compact, versatile, and amazingly affordable, the De’Longhi EC155 15 BAR Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker is perfect for those on a limited budget but who still appreciate the difference between an espresso and a plain cup of coffee. For high quality at a more-than-reasonable price, you will be hard-pressed to find a better espresso maker than the Delonghi EC155 espresso machine.